Why a sustainable urban mobility plan?
What is the value of having a sustainable urban mobility plan in your city or region?
1. The goals of an SUMP
The goals of a sustainable urban mobility plan are wide ranging and do not focus purely on mobility and transport but rather on the quality of urban life. An SUMP aims to create a sustainable urban transport system by:
- ensuring the accessibility of jobs and services to all;
- improving safety and security;
- reducing pollution, greenhouse gas emissions and energy consumption;
- increasing the efficiency and cost-effectiveness of the transportation of persons and goods;
- enhancing the attractiveness and quality of the urban environment.
As you can see, these goals are only indirectly related to traffic planning and take a much broader view of urban mobility and its role in the lives of a city's citizens.
photo: Eltis website