The purpose and use of marketing research
1. The different roles of marketing research
Marketing research can play a different kind of role in your organisation depending on what you need to do. It can, for example, play:
- a descriptive role: to find certain facts
- e.g. What is the image of our company among its customers?
- a diagnostic role: to explain certain phenomena
- e.g. What was the influence of the last advertising campaign on sales of season tickets?
- a prognosticating role: to help you anticipate changes or tendencies
- e.g. Are we able to maintain market share if the individual motorisation index goes up by 25% in the next 5 years?