News forum

Unit 2: Your Task

Unit 2: Your Task

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 2

Many cities are facing urban and regional transport challenges. These may include congestion, road safety problems, air pollution, difficulties in financing infrastructure, or accessibility issues. Think about the following questions and post your answers in this discussion forum.

• What are the major transport-related problems in your city?
  • Are indicators and data available illustrating the severity of the problems?

We encourage you to post photos which are representative of the transport challenges being faced in your city. If you want to further inform your response, you can also briefly research your country's national targets:

• Are there any strategy documents on national level aiming to tackle the urban transport problems?
  • Are there any official targets related to e.g. the environment, climate, pollution, energy, transport, safety, or quality of life?
In reply to Deleted user

Svar: Unit 2: Your Task

by Deleted user -

Although a first choice for analysis could have been Madrid, because of its size, and transport related environmental problems, I sense it´s a City and Metropolitan Area in which evolution towards sustainability depends much more on political conviction than on a real need of more funds or technical capacities. Living in the City without a car is not just possible but desirable for many of its citizens (Modal split, approximately 1/3 walk; 1/3 public transport; 1/3 car), and what really is lacking is a greater move towards cycling (which has begun at a slow pace).

As an alternative, I am very much interested in ideas regarding much smaller areas with other specific problems. The urban area I´m thinking of has "sprawled" all over a valley. The area is set on a challenging terrain, there is a limited network of public transport, population extends all over the valley with a multiple system of high density cores. There is a dependence in economic terms of a large metropolitan area on one hand and on a nearer tourist attraction urban site on the other.

I have not identified any local official target related to environment, and I have no knowledge of existing transport or mobility plans. Nevertheless, I expect to contact the responsible agents in brief, hoping to acknowledge any existing documentation. Today, citizens living without a car, are seriously excluded from normal social activity; and specially if not living in the dense areas.

My objective - in terms of mobility planning - would be to determine how to promote access to schools in non-motorized modes, evaluate the convenience of promoting the use of alternative vehicles (microbuses?) offering transport on demand; and defining how to improve the accessibility of low income and older population. 

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Unit 2: Your Task

by Deleted user -

Urban mobility in Greece is heavily dependent on private cars. Motorization rates have increased dramatically in the decade 1993-2003 (from 186 cars/1,000 inhabitants to 348 cars/1,000 inhabitant). During the same period (but also for the years to come) Greece has highly invested in its national road infrastructure and the Trans European Road network. The major investments in the urban transport network have been made mostly through the construction of the new metro lines in Athens (operable since 2001), the construction of the new tramway in Athens (operable since 2004) and the development of information systems for buses and trolley buses (along with renovation of the fleet). Bicycles and pedestrians infrastructure is underdeveloped for the majority of the Greek cities and the efforts made in the large Greek urban centers can be characterized limited and fragmented. Modal shift percentages for Athens (2006) support this claim (53% attributed to car, 14% to metro, 21% to PT bus, 8% to walking, 2% to bicycle, 1% to PT tram and 1% to PT train). In the second largest Greek city, Thessaloniki, the modal split percentages indicate the same car dependency -  55% car, 25% PT, 10% bike, 10% walk - although obviously more in favor of non-motorized transport modes (walking and bicycling) than in Athens.

Focusing on the case study of a large Municipality of the Athens regions, the Municipality of Ilioupoli, the following mobility characteristics and challenges can be identified (challenges being closely related to the tendencies described above):

·Ilioupoli presents a hilly terrain at East, as it lies at the western foot of the Hymettus mountain. The build-up areas at the foot of the mountain present high road gradients, differentiated significantly from the road characteristics of the west side of the Municipality.

·The majority of roads in the municipality have a wide cross section, serving both directions.

·Ilioupoli is being served by one metro line and public buses. Nonetheless, the location of the metro stations at the west borders of the Municipality - combined with its large area and the hilly terrain - fail to serve Ilioupoli's total population.

·Mobility is still highly dependent on private cars.

·There is a limited use of bicycle - lack of bicycle infrastructure (although climate conditions in Athens are ideal for promoting bicycle)

·No significant pedestrian areas are located.

·Access for persons with mobility problems is not ensured. This is closely connected with the parking "anarchy” that often exists especially in the areas of commercial and recreational activity.  

Unfortunately, to my knowledge, there are no data available to indicate the mobility problems of the area, nor existing transport or mobility plans. I have contacted the Municipality, though, hoping for their cooperation and participation on this.