News forum

Unit 1 task: Introduce yourself

Unit 1 task: Introduce yourself

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 7

Since this unit is called 'Introduction', your first task is to introduce yourself and your town or city. Please write a couple of sentences saying:

• where you're from
  • what you do
  • why you’re interested in improving public transport in your city

Please post your introduction in the news forum under Unit 1: Introduction.

We (Gustavo Jimenez and Saul Alveano) will be adding our thoughts and comments to the news forum on a regular basis as well.

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Unit 1 task: Introduce yourself

by Deleted user -

where you're from

what you do

why you’re interested in improving public transport in your city

Hello!

My name is Melissa Belato Fortes, I am an architect and urban planner from Sao Paulo, Brazil, with master’s degree in sustainable mobility. Currently I am doing a doctorate at the University of Sao Paulo and subject of the research is the relationship among density, mixed-use and a more sustainable urban mobility, as pedestrians ways, cycle paths, car sharing, etc. These themes are important for minimize air pollution and transit congestion, for example. Brazil it has generic legislation of Urban Mobility Plan where the municipal has to develop and implement your plans. 

To attract people, public transport needs to be efficient, have periodicity, be done with less polluting vehicles, take precedence over the individual motorized transport and be integrated with other modes of transport.

I'm interested in improving public transit in my city because I believe that there are other forms of locomotion in addition to transport by car and that these other forms can reduce congestion, air pollution and promote a healthier city.

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

Hello! I am João from Lisbon, Portugal. Graduated in Biochemistry and also studied Anthropology.

A few years ago I started to get really interested in Sustainable Transportation and Urban Mobility although never done any professional work on it. This is a subject I wish to develop further so that I can give my contribute in building better cities in Portugal.  

Private car culture is very high in Portugal and Lisbon suffers a lot with this. When I ask several people why they chose to travel by car in the city they always answer that they don't consider the public transport reliable. This suffocates a space already too small. Congestion, illegal parking and pollution can be diminished if more and more people chose public transportation.

Even though I consider Lisbon's public transport system quite good, there is still plenty that can be done. One can make it more attractive and reliable, giving strong enough reasons for citizens to make the definite change from the automobile to public transport.

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

Good evening everybody,

i am Roxani and i come from Greece. I live in Thessaloniki,my hometown, and now i also study here.I am on the last year of civil engineering school at the Aristoteleion University of Thessaloniki (AUTH). Since one year ago i chose my specializing field .I am at the Transportation,Infrastructure,Management and Regional Planning Engineeering.

Thessaloniki is the second biggest city in Greece and has a population around 800.000 permanent residents.Moreover there are more than 90.000 students who study at the two universities of the town .Thessaloniki has a special characteristic.Everything is going on in the small center of the town!!!!.Civil services,schools,shopping markets,hospitals,the two universities,sport centers and many other take place in the center.Concerning the landscape of Thessaloniki there is another important point.It is like a continious hill ,with high incline at the beggining low incline in the end ,which ends at the port-sea of the city.

However,the most significant point is that the only mode of public transport in town is buses.There is an undergroun metro system to be constructed but the optimistic plan shows that it will be finished at 2020.All the area of thessaloniki,especially the center, faces huge traffic conjestion,minimus accesibility,huge car parking problems,pollution and many other.The low quality and quantity of the buses,together with the love of greek people in their private cars prove that it is urgent to design a better public transportation system.A system friendlier,more convenient,more attractive  and more accesible.Finally more human. I love my city and i would really be happy if i could manage to do a little thing towards this target.

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

• where you're from
  • what you do
  • why you’re interested in improving public transport in your city
Hello all, 

My name is Sundeep Ruchchan. I am from the small island of Mauritius, in the Indian Ocean, with a population of only 1.3 million inhabitants. 

I am currently a head transport planner at the largest public transport provider of the island, with a fleet of 500 over buses and operating about 90 routes. I previously worked in Singapore as a transport consultant for about 6-7 years before moving back to my motherland! 

It is actually my job to improve the public transport in my city in addition to my lifelong goal to improve transport systems in any city! 

Hope to learn as much as possible and create a good networking in here! 

Cheers

Sundeep 

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

My name is Jose Luis Iglesias Lorenzo, im a Technology and trainer consultant, living in Canary Islands. Spain. Im writing you from Tenerife Island where i did participate in a "visionary" ideas contest with a solution for my island mobility in order to introduce ECO vehicles. This idea was very well received and i did began to investigate about all of this. Im working now training people in computing science and as a community manager in the social media networks. But Im here trying to focus a part of my time in all of this and looking for specific training to learn and to teach. (Who knows where i will be tomorrow ?)  Thank you all. (if you are late im late too and we can help between us)  greetings. 

Here you have some links to understand my personal xp in all of this...

ENCOURAGEMENT TO USE ECO VEHICLES IN TENERIFE ISLAND is an idea that was sent to VISIONARIOS DE TENERIFE because i was wondering about how to help to improve mobility... thinking about bicycles and so... then... cars... then bus... then... finally i did sent this idea in its spanish version and then translated to be able to share with people all over the world. The Idea is property now of the Local Authority but they recognize me and im so proud im following giving tips... to go on... 

Always cared about this kind of vehicles (ECO) so... im now a member of the Spanish Electric Vehicles Users Association. And i wish my next car... will be one of this... now im helping them to grow and develop actions to share benefits of green mobility. 

In next comments i will answer the tasks showing you how the things are done here in Tenerife (very special case of mobility). Canary Islands. Spain.  Greetings from the Atlantic Ocean !  smile

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

My name is Dristy Shrestha. I live in Kathmandu, the capital city of Nepal. I am pursuing my bachelors in Environment Studies from Tribhuwan University and recently, I am working for carfree.com which proposes that Carfree Cities can be the most sustainable model in terms of urban development with minimum financial and technical requirements.

I am also been working for a campaign entitled "KtmWalks" which promotes walking and cycling culture in the ancient core Kathmandu which is a medieval city build in pedestrian scale. 

Public transportation services in my city is very poor, unreliable and inefficient. They are mostly overcrowded, insecure and emits lot of smoke in the street. The public transport services offered in most routes are small mini vans or micro bus and medium sized bus. There are only few large bus services in the city. Mostly the female gender travelers have complain on the issues such as personal insecurity and physical difficulties in getting on/off on bus. And I am also public transport user and cycle campaigner myself. To cycle everyday in busy streets of Kathmandu is also very risky (health as well as risk of accidents) so for the distance travel I prefer public transport. Most of my trips are unpleasant while travelling from public transport, that is why I am interested to improve these services.

I want to advocate and work for sustainable transportation and healthy infrastructure for walking and cycling in my city.  

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

Hello my name is Thales Tito Borges but you can call me Tito, I am a Undergraduate student studying Environmental Engineering at the Federal University of Itajubá, has interest in studies and work on issues related to urban planning, sustainable urban development and urban mobility. In 2014-2015 he conducted undergraduate research project linked to the theme. We want to further their studies in the subject.

I live in Brazil, more specifically in the state of Minas Gerais, in a town called Itajubá, located on top of Mount Mantiqueira, a welcoming city, with great potential to become a city in "human scale," without cars and vehicles motor, however here in Brazil our reality quite differently, mobility plans began to be implemented in 2012 with time limit for completion by 2015, however, here in Itajubá and many municipalities the plan has not even started to be done. 

Itajubá not have quality public transportation , this creates a false sense that the city does not need public transport which eventually leads people to use individual and motorized transport