Announcements

Task 1.1: Introduce yourself and your city

Picture of Kristin Tovaas
Task 1.1: Introduce yourself and your city
by Kristin Tovaas - Monday, 13 November 2017, 10:56 AM

Introduce yourself and your city by answering the following questions:

• Where do you work and what do you do there?
  • What is the population of your city?
  • What is congestion like in your city? Is it considered a serious problem?
  • How much cycling is there in your city? What about walking? Please give the mode shares if you know them.
  • How seriously are they taken as modes of transportation?

Please post your responses here in the discussion forum so your fellow participants know who you are. Please take the time for this even if you've participated in earlier courses as an introduction to new "classmates".

Picture of Jelena Nikolić
Re: Task 1.1: Introduce yourself and your city
by Jelena Nikolić - Tuesday, 14 November 2017, 4:00 PM

Hello everyone,

my name is Jelena Nikolić. I'm Architect and I'm working in City administration of the City of Kruševac as Adviser for energy efficiency and sustainable urban mobility.

• I'm working in the Department for urban planning and construction on development projects and strategies. Recently we have finished the first Sustainable urban mobility plan- SUMP of the City of Kruševac. We expect that SUMP will be addopted by the end of November  2017. I was involved in organization of European mobility week 2015, 2016 and 2017. For the organization of European Mobility Week 2016 City of Kruševac was shortlisted for the EMW Award.
  • Kruševac has cca 130.000 inhabitants (101 settlement- 64% urban, 34% rural))
  • Every year number of registred vehicles increases. Because of that, lack of parking space and habits of citizens to use car even for short distances, congestion occurs almost every day. That is especially noticeably in the city center. The traffic was counted in this street during peak hour, and result was: pedestrians 1480, cars 830, cyclists 93, light freight vehicles 76, bus 22. 
  • How much cycling is there in your city? What about walking? Please give the mode shares if you know them.
  • Modal split 2016: walking 44%, cycling 3%, public transport 19%, taxi 2%, car 32%.
  • Walking and cycling are still not considered as a modes of transport, but that is changing slowly.

Picture of Timothé Bronkhorst
by Timothé Bronkhorst - Tuesday, 14 November 2017, 4:16 PM

Hello everyone, I'll put the same answers as in the first and second course, nothing changed !

Where do you work and what do you do there?
My name is Timothé Bronkhorst and I'm working as a mobility consultant in Lyon, France. I founded my company MobiSim in 2013 and am specialized in micro-simulation using VISSIM. I try to focus on simulation including cycles and public transport.

What is the population of your city?
The "Métropole de Lyon" had 1 354 476 inhabitants in 2014, and includes 59 cities.

What is congestion like in your city? Is it considered a serious problem?
Congestion is substantial, like in many other big cities, but is not dramatic. It's considered a problem and is treated with a bit of schizophrenia : the city is reducing the traffic lanes and parking area in the center, but is still planning big road infrastructures outside the city center. The PT network is quite good in Lyon and improving each year, and cycling and walking are more and more considered as real transportation modes.

How much cycling is there in your city? What about walking? Please give the mode shares if you know them.
Cars : 42% - PT : 19% - walking : 35% - cycling : 2% Those mode shares include all the cities in the Métropole, including those that are in suburb areas where cars are way stronger. Car is decreasing year after year (46% in 2006) but remains quite high, PT is increasing too. Walking has increased a bit and is the second transportation mode. Cycling is stable and is fairly low, but the modal shares calculations are controversial, as cyclists countings show a 15-20% increase each year for the last years.

How seriously are they taken as modes of transportation?
They're more and more taken into consideration, and the Métropole is dedicating more money to them each year. Lyon was one of the first city to offer a wide bike sharing system (Vélo'V), but cycling infrastructures were quite bad for a long time. It's improving since a few years but it lacks a strong political support. Cycling is more and more popular though, and associations are fighting hard to improve cycling conditions. Cyclist infrastructure is sadly more in conflict with PT infrastructure than with road infrastructures nowadays, PT operators see cycling as a competitor and not really as an ally...
Picture of Milena Perpelea
by Milena Perpelea - Monday, 20 November 2017, 12:18 PM

My name is Milena Perpelea , I am mechanical engineer and, since 2005, the European Projects Responsible in the International Relations Department. I am dealing with tracking, administration and coordination of the implementation of programs and projects for sustainable development of the municipality by implementing procedures to access and absorb structural funds and other types of financing.

I was project manager/local coordinator for: PRACTISE (Promoting renewable energy and improving sustainable) IEE Programme (2007-2009), SPICYCLES (Sustainable Planning and Innovation bicycle) - IEE Programme 2006 -2008, CIVITAS II - SUCCESS (Small Urban Communities for sustainable environmental solutions, FP6) 2005-2008, CATS (City Alternative Transport System, FP7) 2012-2015, BIONIC - Networks of biofuels for Communities program IEE  2006-2008, Municipal Ploiesti West Park – POR 2007-2013, Axis 1, 2011-2016.

What is the population of your city? Ploiesti population: 209945 What is congestion like in your city? Is it considered a serious problem?

Traffic congestion is a serious problem and worsen with increasing traffic. We have not dedicated bus lanes.

How much cycling is there in your city? What about walking? Please give the mode shares if you know them.

In 2006, the CIVITAS - SUCCES project elaborated the Strategic Trafficking Plan for alternative transport in Ploiesti that provided the first strategic transport framework alternatively (walking and cycling). Following this project, 8 km of cycling tracks were set up for bikes on bd. Bucharest, on bd. Independence and Posta Street. From that point on the network bicycle tracks have not been extended. Mode shares: Walking 26, 4%, PT 38, 75%, Car 33, 95%. , cycling 0,9%

The Mobility Plan (SUMP) incorporates a package of growth measures attractiveness, safety and security in terms of walking and cycling. Existing infrastructure has been analyzed and improved where it has been imposed. New infrastructure has been developed, not just along transport routes
motorized. Dedicated infrastructure was thought so that pedestrian transport with bicycle to be separated from heavy motorized traffic in order to reduce travel distances where appropriate. Infrastructure measures will be complemented by other technical measures as well as light policies and measures.

Picture of Milena Perpelea
by Milena Perpelea - Wednesday, 15 November 2017, 11:50 AM

My name is Milena Perpelea , I am mechanical engineer and, since 2005, the European Projects Responsible in the International Relations Department. I am dealing with tracking, administration and coordination of the implementation of programs and projects for sustainable development of the municipality by implementing procedures to access and absorb structural funds and other types of financing.

I was project manager/local coordinator for: PRACTISE (Promoting renewable energy and improving sustainable) IEE Programme (2007-2009), SPICYCLES (Sustainable Planning and Innovation bicycle) - IEE Programme 2006 -2008, CIVITAS II - SUCCESS (Small Urban Communities for sustainable environmental solutions, FP6) 2005-2008, CATS (City Alternative Transport System, FP7) 2012-2015, BIONIC - Networks of biofuels for Communities program IEE  2006-2008, Municipal Ploiesti West Park – POR 2007-2013, Axis 1, 2011-2016.

Picture of Jelena Brković
by Jelena Brković - Wednesday, 15 November 2017, 1:40 PM

Hello everyone,

my name is Jelena Brković.
-Where do you work and what do you do there?

I am traffic engineer and I am working in the City administration of the City of Krusevac on jobs of regulating traffic and I've worked on SUMP development.

·    What is the population of your city?

·    What is congestion like in your city? Is it considered a serious problem?

There many cars on the sreets in Krusevac. Because of that, lack of parking space and habits of citizens to use car even for short distances, congestion occurs constantly all day long, especially in the city center. This is a serious problem with polutions and noise.

·    How much cycling is there in your city? What about walking? Please give the mode shares if you know them.

Modal split (2016):  walking 44%, cycling 3%, public transport 19%, taxi 2%, car 32%.

·    How seriously are they taken as modes of transportation?

They a not seriously taken as modes of transpotration at all.

Picture of Remus Szigeti
by Remus Szigeti - Thursday, 16 November 2017, 2:57 PM

Hello everyone,

My name is Szigeti Remus.

I am a development agent and I currently  work at Brasov Metropolitan Association for the Sustainable Development of Public Transport

In Brasov we have a serious problem with traffic jams at rush hours. We have 307cars/ 1000 population.

In Brasov we have 22 kilometres of bike tracks, in this moment we try to develop a bike sharing system to promote cycling in the city. Less then 5% of Brasov population use bike daily. public transport-20%, car-60%

Walking and cycling are still not considered as a modes of transport.  We are working to devolp
a good infrastructure, after this the number of people who use bicycle will grow.

Picture of Simonas Puzonas
by Simonas Puzonas - Friday, 17 November 2017, 9:30 AM

I work in the municipal enterprise "Vilnius plan". Focus on transport planning.

City streets clogged during rush hours. Administration position to plan the infrastructure for cars, and so we have cars.

Modal split: pedestrian - 36%, 1% - cycling, 25% - public transport, 38% - cars. 

Begins to pay attention. But not enough.

Picture of Xiaoyun Zhang
by Xiaoyun Zhang - Friday, 17 November 2017, 10:40 PM

Hello everyone,

My name is Xiaoyun Zhang.

•  Where do you work and what do you do there?

I am a Civil Engineer and I work as a road traffic researcher at Dynniq in the Netherlands, specializing on ITS (Intelligent Transport System) projects within Europe. I started working in the field of traffic/transportation since 1st of Nov this year, so I am very new to this area. But within this few weeks, I already find this area very interesting.

The city of Utrecht has around 344,384 in 2017.

Utrecht is well-connected to the Dutch road network because of its centered location in the Netherlands and Utrecht has the busiest traffic in the Netherlands. Traffic congestion is a serious phenomenon and worsen with increasing traffic.

Cycling is an important mode in the city of Utrecht, around 34%. The other modes are: Walking 3%, PT 24%, Car 39%. (Source 2015)

Just like cycling is a major mode of transportation in the Netherlands, cycling in Utrecht has also been taken into account in many aspects. Municipal of Utrecht is working more and more on encouraging people to cycle instead of driving. The results can be observed by decreasing walking, driving share and increasing cycling share. Still, transportation mode should be taken more seriously due to deteriorating conditions.

Picture of Cristina Villalón Robles
by Cristina Villalón Robles - Monday, 20 November 2017, 1:26 PM

Module 1.1: FLOW e-Learning opportunities & overview of this course

Task 1.1

My name is Cristina Villalón, I am a Doctor in Biological Sciences (Environment), and I work for the City Council of León (Spain) as a Sustainable Mobility Technician.

126.192 inhabitants (Source: INE, National Institute of Statistics - 2016).

The city of León does not suffer from important traffic congestion, since it is a medium-sized city, where more than 64% of the citizens make their daily trips on foot, although 28% state that they use motorised vehicles. In any case, only the core center and main accesses of the city have some high traffic levels during rush hours.

Unfortunately we do not have updated data, but that provided by the SUMP (2009) showed that we just had 0.28% cyclists. Nevertheless, the number of bike users has significantly increased through last years, mainly because of the construction/implementation of new infrastructure such as bike lanes, bike racks, bike loan system, etc. As regards walking, the modal share is mentioned in previous answer.

Regarding data of the modal shares, we have just finished to prepare the Call for Tenders for the ‘Harmonisation of the SUMP and the SECAP of León’, in the framework of the European project SIMPLA (Horizon 2020). Within this harmonisation project, we will make a new comprehensive study of the modal shares.

Nowadays they are fully considered, reason why the Mobility Department of the City Council of León is implementing new bike lanes and organises frequent specific meetings, discussion talks, and other initiatives with topic ‘bicycle’. Moreover, the Urbanism Department is currently working to construct new pedestrian areas in the city.

Picture of Daniel Pavleski
by Daniel Pavleski - Wednesday, 6 December 2017, 10:53 PM

I am traffic engineer and work for the transport department of City of Skopje since 2008.

The State statistical office has estimated that in 2015 Skopje has 544086 inhabitants.

The congestion in Skopje is considered as the serious problem.  It is most prominent in the central business district (CBD) of the city. The rapid growth of car ownership and use and land use play leading role in producing congestion in the city.

According the traffic study for the traffic system of Skopje from 2011 the modal split in Skopje is as: 35% walking, 1.4% cycling, 30% public transport and 33.6% private cars.

The cycling and walking in Skopje are still not taken seriously as mode of transportation.